These super healthy protein packed pancakes were our family’s 4th of July breakfast, which I had hoped to post over a week ago, but it just didn’t happen. Where do the hours…days go? This was our family’s first Independence Day that we got to celebrate in the US since moving back after living abroad for the last seven years. So, of course, I had to make something red, white and blue.
In attempt to be a little more creative than just using the old strawberry and blueberry trick, I tried to make red pancakes, but as you can see they didn’t turn out very red and I resorted to the berries anyway. Despite the color or lack there of, they were delicious anyway. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday with their family and friends. And here is my red or not so red pancake recipe a week late.
Red Lentil & Coconut PancakesRecipe by Jenny Atkins of Real Food by Two Moms
These quick and easy to make, high protein and gluten free pancakes are a hit with the kids and freeze well too.
1/2 cup red lentils
1 1/2 cups milk or almond milk
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup raw sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
- Soak dried red lentils for at least an hour or over night.
- Add all ingredients to a Vitamix or high power blender and blend until just combined. Let sit for up to 10 minutes.
- Heat butter or coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat and add dollops of mixture to the pan and fry until puffed and browed. Flip and continue to cook the other side until golden and cooked through.
- Top with fresh berries, homemade powdered sugar or maple syrup.
- If you plan to use powdered sugar make sure to mill your sugar in the blender before you make the pancake recipe so you don’t have to clean the blender twice. If the blender has a little extra sweetness to it when you start to make the pancake recipe, no problem.
- To make powdered sugar just blend sugar on high in your Vitamix. Store-bought powdered sugar often contains non caking agents and other fake ingredients.
My mouth watered after seeing this recipe! 😍 I’m in! I gotta try this one!